[ltp] lm_sensors and thinkpad

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:59:39 +0100

Hello,

What's the current status of the lm_sensors stuff on thinkpads ?
Did you succeed in getting it working on your laptop ? If yes,
what chipset has been detected (lm75, lm78 ..), on which
model ? The spec sheets of the 770 models talks about a lm75
chipset. So it should be possible to access sensor information,
like processor temps and fan rotation speed.

On my 770Z, It only detects the eeprom module, which is supposed
to provide an interface to access the eeprom on SDRAM DIMMS, via
the SMBus. You can then read misc info about your memory
chips : latency, delays, capacity, and so on.

Concurrently, although this may not be definitely linked :-)
I discovered that the 188 and 189 error codes at boot time --that
I already experienced several times-- mean : Bad EEPROM CRC :-(
(The hardware maintenance manual is available in PDF format
online on IBM web site, and is a great source a information
on how to diagnose a hardware failure)
The technician explained to me that this eeprom contains the motherboard
serial number, and is checked at boot time. Might it be possible
that this eeprom is accessed in a weird way by the lm_sensors stuff ?
Any similar experiences ?

Fabrice