[ltp] network not joined

Leila Schneberger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:11:59 -0600

At 10:23 AM 1/10/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Leila:
>
>I'd tried to use this card and I had a lot of problems too.
>Finally I give up!. Now, I'm using the IBM ethernet II PCMCIA  card. It
>works like a charm.

Well, I've already bought two ethernet cards for this laptop. I'd really
like to get this one working if at all possible. I read the page at
http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp770x.html a little more closely, and realized
that I needed to get the *latest* pcmcia drivers instead of just compiling
the ones that came with RH6.1. So I downloaded the 3.1.8 drivers and
installed them.

Now in /var/log/messages it shows that it recognizes the Linksys Etherfast
and does insmod for 8390.o and pcnet_cs.o. I get as far as "eth0: found
link beat," but still no light on the hub. Ifconfig eth0 shows I am
transmitting packets, and the little Act light on the connector blinks.

It seems like it must be very close...
Leila