[ltp] telnet

Wed, 12 Jan 2000 07:56:27 +0100

First, don't try to log on as root, it is normally avoided, and you can get
such a message,
or the system tells you the password is wrong (even if right) and closes
the connection.
By default, most flavors protect you against this, for the sake of
security.
So, create first a normal user, try to log in directly from the console,
and then by telnet.
If you need to be logged as root, from your normal user, you can make a su
-

An other check is to see if your NT is listed in /etc/hosts.allow
but normally, as long as you're not in /etc/hosts.deny, you're welcome.

A check to see if the problem comes from the NT is to telnet localhost from
a console
on your Thinkpad...

An other place to check is /etc/inetd.conf and see if the line beginning
with telnet is uncommented...

No other idea...  (for now)

Regards

                    "Wayne
                    Ayotte"              To:     <linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com>
                    <ayottew@onli        cc:
                    nk.net>              Subject:     [ltp] telnet

                    12/01/2000
                    03:59
                    Please
                    respond to
                    linux-thinkpa

Hi, I hope this is an easy one, here are the details and we  appreciate

any help we can get, thanks in advance

We have a thinkpad with Linux-Mandrake 6.0 installed. It is  connected

to a local lan using tcp/ip, ethernet and a hub. There is an  NT box on

the LAN.

Everything seems to work great! We can ping the NT from the  thinkpad

and vice versa, no problem. We can ftp the NT from the  thinkpad and

vice versa; BUT we can't seem to telnet the thinkpad from the  NT.

When we telnet from the NT to the thinkpad or telnet the  thinkpad from

the thinkpad we get the following:

"trying ...."
"connected ...."
"escape character is  '^]'."

then after a few moments we get:

"connection closed by foreign host."

where did we go wrong? Any hints, suggestions would be  appreciated.

Wayne

ayottew@onlink.net