[ltp] PCMCIA, SelectaDock III SCSI, lilo and networking

Jacqueline R. Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:13:47 -0000

My configuration:

TP 770Z, 9549-8B0 with 13.7 TFT (1280*1024), 14.1Gb, CD-ROM,

NT 4.0 WS pre-installed with SP4.

SuSE 6.1 kernel 2.2.7, PCMCIA 3.0.9, Xfree 3.3.3.1

PCMCIA:

First just to say that I managed to get my PCMCIA USR XJ228 modem to work in
the end by fiddling around with I/O port includes and IRQ excludes. It was
still trial an error even after reading the HOWTO. Anyway the up-shot was
the include address needed to be restricted to the 0x300 to 0x3ff range.

Still have a problem with the Motorola adapter for my cellphone though.
Works a treat under NT, but under Linux is given an I/O port, IRQ and ttySn
address but shows not ready in cardinfo. Does this ring a bell to anybody?

SelectaDock III SCSI:

The other day in another desperate attempt to persuade Linux to strike up a
conversation with the SCSI card in the SelectaDock III I had the "bright!"
idea of trying a separate load of the aic7xxx.o kernel module. By golly it
worked. Still not managed to get it to load automatically but at least it
works now.

It can be seen as the correct PCI device type on the PCI bus, shows itself
to be a SCSI controller but does not automatically cause the correct modules
to be loaded. I simply get the 0 hosts detected message at boot time.
Anybody any thoughts?

Lilo and networking:

Now the major question. I have this desire to tell Linux at boot time not to
load the network if I choose, e.g. a "nonet" section in lilo.conf that some
how ripples through to everything else stopping the network routines
append="???????"

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks. Linux is bringing the excitement
back into computing.

Jackie