[ltp] x2x

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:16:35 +0000

I've been playing with x2x.  x2x sends the keyboard and mouse inputs
from one Xserver to another.  It provides functionality similair to a
multihead machine, but using two computers.  It should be useful since I
am often using both my thinkpad and desktop.  The computers are
networked by ethernet.

The pointer can scroll between screens, cut and paste works, but windows
can't be dragged between screens.  It is a bad idea to start x2x on both
machines at once.

Tom Rockwell

Here are some install notes I wrote up:

Source code is available from
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/SRC/x2x It is also
available as a Debian package from
http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/x11/x2x.html

I built x2x on a Redhat 6.1 system that has XFree86 with the
XFree86-3.3.5-3.src.rpm package installed.  (I think it's needed...)
Here are the steps:

unpack the tar file and cd to source directory
>xmkmf     (reads the Imakefile file and creates a Makefile)
>make
you should now have an x2x executable.

as superuser:
>cp x2x.1 /usr/man/man1/
>cp x2x /usr/local/bin/

read the man page.
>man x2x  ;-)

to start:
on the target machine, use xhost to allow the connection.
on the source machine:
>x2x -to TARGET:0.0 -west &

to kill: