[ltp] EPP/ECP control with tpctl

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:42:43 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Thomas Hood wrote:

> Try tpctl 0.8.4, currently available via the tpctl download page
> http://panopticon.csustan.edu/tpctl/tpctldown.htm
>
>  This is a beta release for testing purposes.  (I plan
>  to make the tpctl --rx nicer, etc.)  Can you please
>  try it out and see if it does what you want?
>
>  The modes available are:
>  COMP  = compatible = SPP with traditional pulse interrupt
>  EXT   = extended   = SPP with level interrupt
>  EPP   = enhanced parallel port (version 1.9, IEEE 1284 compliant)
>  ECP   = extended capabilities parallel port (IEEE 1284 compliant)
>
>  To set the mode, do, e.g.:
>     tpctl --rp=EPP

I have downloaded 0.8.4. 'make ; make install' worked just fine and from
what I was able to see at a glance, the --rp command works as expected.

(5)root@blackbox>cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base:   0x3bc
irq:    7
dma:    3
modes:  SPP,ECP,ECPPS2

This now indeed shows more than just one mode. Back in September the
'cat /proc...' command just showed SPP mode and nothing else. I don't
know whether it is the new tcptl that made the change for the better or
whether it is the fact that I am now running on linux-2.2.14. Also, I
haven't had the spare time yet to really attach my SmartMedia parallel
port adapter and see whether it now works under NT running on VMware on
top of my Linux-based ThinkPad. I will keep you posted though as soon as
I know more. Thanks very much for the quick help, I hope it is not just
me asking for that function. ;)

> Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Thomas Hood wrote:

[... all detailed stuff deleted, just want to preserve the trail ...]

- --
Friedemann Baitinger       fb@baiti.net      http://baiti.net/fb

Support bacteria -- they're the only culture some people have