[ltp] Help with IR 560x Palm3 (long)

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:21:53 +0000

Hi,

Over the weekend I tried to get my 560x to talk to my PalmIII over IR.
I searched the net/newsgroups/past discussion hear/How-tos.  I got
close, but it's not quite working.  I think the remaining problem is to
get a /dev/devicename setup correctly.  I've not been able to setup a
device that pilot-xfer (part of pilot-link package) will connect to.

Below are the details of what I've done, these might be useful to
somebody who is trying to set this up (or they might be harmful ;-)  I
much appreciate any comments helping to fix this config.

Thanks,
Tom Rockwell

Could somebody explain what the differnt /dev links are supposed to do?
Why do you need more than just /dev/ttyS0?

The Palm has 3Com's hotsync v3.3 which includes IR sync capability.  Is
this
software OK to use?

The thinkpad has kernel v2.2.14 and irda-utils v0.9.7 on a Redhat 6.1
system.

Using the thinkpad bios utils, I set the IR to the first serial port and
the 9 pin external port to the second port.  At startup I see:
        Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ
enabled
        ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
        ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

(IRQs 3,4 are excluded from being grabbed by pcmcia in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts)
setserial /dev/ttyS0 shows:
        /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

The following is in /etc/conf.modules
        # IrDA
        alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
        alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty

In /etc/irda/drivers the start action does:
        irattach /dev/ttyS0

If I run ">irmanager -d 1", irmanager and irattach start up.  The
following kernel messages come through (/var/log/messages):
        irmanager: executing: '/sbin/modprobe irda'
        kernel: IrDA (tm) Protocols for Linux-2.2 (Dag Brattli)
        irmanager: executing: 'echo prost-home >
/proc/sys/net/irda/devname'
        irmanager: + 1.1 Tue Nov  9 15:30:55 1999 Dag Brattli
        irmanager: + 1.1 Tue Nov  9 15:30:55 1999 Dag Brattli
        prost irattach: Serial connection established.
        prost kernel: IrDA: Registered device irda0
        prost irattach: executing: 'echo prost-home >
/proc/sys/net/irda/devname'
(I removed the timestamps)

/proc/interrupts shows: (isn't there before irattach is started)
         4:      40125          XT-PIC  serial

lsmod shows two ir modules inserted:
        irtty                   4636   2  (autoclean)
        irda                  135713   1  [irtty]

irdadump shows that the thinkpad is sending out a signal about every 3
seconds.  Bring the palm within range, a message "Waiting for sender"
appears on the palm (it is set to look for incoming ir messages).  Also
in the discovery log (/proc/net/irda/discovery) the palm appears:
        IrLMP: Discovery log:
        name: Tom Rockwell, hint: 0x8220, saddr: 0xe1b73138, daddr:
0xb9629609

Lines like this show up in the irdadump output:
02:45:20.744447 xid:rsp e1b73138 < b9629609 S=6 s=4 Tom Rockwell
hint=8220 [ PDA/Palmtop IrOBEX ] (29)

So the above is a bit long winded, but it seems to be ok to me.  The
low level IR link seems to be there.  The
problem is that I can't figure out how to setup a device file that
pilot-xfer will hook to.  I've tried pilot-xfer -l on the 9 pin serial
port and it works fine.