[ltp] IBM PCMCIA Modem & 600E

Jesse O. Sanford linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:23:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi there.

I don't mean to be one of those people on the list who never posts
anything until they ask for help, but I guess that's what I'm doing.
I apologize.

I have a 600E 2645-4AU and I just recently bought a PCMCIA modem from IBM,
their "56K Data/Fax Modem," 10L7394.

When I insert it, regardless of when I insert it, which slot, etc., I
get a high beep and a low beep and then

	serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items

...so I assumed that cardmgr thought I was out of interrupts.  but
cat /proc/interrupts reveals only 0, 1, 2, 8, 12, 13 & 14 in use,
and i've already got

	PCIC_OPTS='poll_interval=100'

in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, and i've already booted into DOS and run

	PS2 SERA ENABLE

and

	PS2 SERIAL ON

as Thomas Hood [i believe] suggests on his web page, even though i don't
know if this is really necessary, and I've even added an entry for the
IBM modem to /etc/pcmcia/config.

Each time I insert the card the following entry shows up in
/var/log/messages:

	initializing socket 1
	socket 1: IBM V.90 PC Card Modem with XJACK
	module /lib/modeules/2.2.12-20/misc/serial.o not available
	executing: 'insmod /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/pcmcia/serial_cs.o'
	kernel: serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
	get dev info on socket 1 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
	shutton down socket 1
	executing: 'rmmod serial_cs'
	executing: 'rmmod serial'
	+ rmmod: module serial not loaded

oh, and it's redhat 6.1

i guess i have two questions:

	1.  does anyone have any suggestions?

and

	2.  could the 10L7394 be a WinModem or something else
	    that won't work?  do we have a way of finding this
	    out from IBM?

i really appreciate any help or comments you may have.  thanks!

--
Jesse Sanford <jesse@columbia.edu>
					http://www.columbia.edu/~jesse