[ltp] Re: Can't go to sleep

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
24 Jan 2000 09:45:08 +0100

    MH> Sylvain writes:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I experienced a strange proble after installing Linux+LILO on a IBM
    >> Thinkpad i1467 : After this installation, each time I launch the sleep
    >> manager (in Win98), it answered me that it cannot work on a machine
    >> without any hard disk. But when I close the top of the laptop, at least
    >> with win98, it goes into hibernation.

    MH> Do you mean standby when you close the top?  There is a sleep manager
    MH> in Win98 and you can configure what you want to happen when you close
    MH> the top of the machine.  I've never had that error, by the way, and I
    MH> configured my win98 sleep manager last week.  How did you re-partition
    MH> your disk?

    MH> As for your last comment, I do not believe hibernation is supported in
    MH> linux at present.  Check the apmd man page.  Under linux, when I hit
    MH> the sleep key (alt-function-4, or something like this - not working on
    MH> my laptop at the moment) my machine goes into sleep/standby mode with
    MH> no problems.  I did not have to set anything to do this.  Closing the
    MH> lid does nothing, though.

Contrary to what most people think, it IS possible to use hibernation with
Linux. The only caveat is that you have to a Windows partition slightly
bigger than your RAM memory size and you have to run the TP utility at
least once and have it "configure" your BIOS to use that Windows partition
for hibernation. Somewhere on the net (sorry, I didn't save that URL)
there's even a description of how  to use the Linux swap partition for
hibernation.

It works just fine (tested on 760, 770, 390).

        Dirk
--
Dr. Dirk Husemann                Phone      +41 1 724 8573
IBM Research Division            FAX        +41 1 724 8953