[ltp] Re: IBM PCMCIA Modem & 600E

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
24 Jan 2000 09:53:05 +0100

Hi Jesse,

[...]

    JOS> Each time I insert the card the following entry shows up in
    JOS> /var/log/messages:

    JOS> 	initializing socket 1
    JOS> 	socket 1: IBM V.90 PC Card Modem with XJACK
    JOS> 	module /lib/modeules/2.2.12-20/misc/serial.o not available
                            ^^^^^^^^
Is that a type in copying the log lines or is that indeed in
/var/log/messages? If the latter then that might be the cause of the
problem, it should read .../modules/...

Otherwise, what I did on my wife's TP was to exclude the port range for the
SECOND serial port 0x3.. in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts. If that doesn't help,
you might try and recompile with serial support being a loadable module (her
printer port would, for example, refuse to work unless parallel port
support was include as a module instead of at compile time).

Perhaps that helps.

        Dirk

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann                Phone      +41 1 724 8573
IBM Research Division            FAX        +41 1 724 8953