[ltp] Re: Which PCMCIA for ISDN ?

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
27 Jan 2000 10:59:51 +0100

    ND> Hello,
    ND> could someone, please,  suggest me a good ISDN PCMCIA that is durable,
    ND> reliable & reasonably not very expensive? It should work well with
    ND>  Linux & ThinkPad 770ED .

    ND> I have an USR WorldPort 33k and it seems hopeless: its insertion makes
    ND> the system beep twice and halt everything till its removal.
    ND> I tried restricting some memory probing, but it seems useless.
    ND> I'm afraid there's still to wait long or even forever before the Mwave stuff become
    ND> supported under Linux. Supporting it seems to be much
    ND> problemful to IBM, still the reason is not really clear ??

Try disabling the MWave software under Windows. I had the same problems you
have with ANY serial PC Card until I disabled the MWave stuff completely
(the BIOS will bark at you occasionally but you can ignore those
messages). After disabling MWave any serial PC Card so far has worked just
fine. I'm currently using a Psion Goldcard with ISDN upgrade which is just
perfect: for your system it's always a modem no matter of whether you are
using it with the ISDN "dongle" or the analog adapter.

        Dirk

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann                Phone      +41 1 724 8573
IBM Research Division            FAX        +41 1 724 8953