[ltp] X problem

Nicola Botta linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:16:20 +0100

--------------15A3ED5D8FBC07BBAC8EB832

Hi,

I'm running Halloween 4 (a RedHat 6.1 based distribution)

on a TP 600E 2645-4A0. I'm using quite a lot netscape-communicator

and I have not been able to get rid of an annoying problem:

Entering a string in some (not all) of the netscape-communicator

pop-up menues (for example: entering a link name when inserting

a link in a message, piking up an entry from the address book when

editing a new message) crashes netscape-communicator. I sometimes

get a bus error message, sometimes no message at all.

I have tried two netscape-common / netscape-communicator versions

which are compatible with my X configuration: 4.7-1.1 and 4.7-2.

In both cases I hat exactly the same problem both with 8 and with

16 bpp.

My X System is:

lt28:[RedHat-6.1-updates]# rpm -qa | grep XF
XFree86-3.3.5-9
XFree86-xfs-3.3.5-9
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.5-9
XFree86-SVGA-3.3.5-9
XFree86-libs-3.3.5-9
XFree86-VGA16-3.3.5-9
XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.5-9
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.5-9
XFree86-devel-3.3.5-9

and I'm running the SVGA server at 1024x768 and either 8

or 16 bpp. Notice that the same netscape work fine on a

Compaq desktop PC. On this PC I'm using exactly the same

binaries (netscape, X) except for the X server which is an

accelerated.

Today I noticed another X related anomaly. mpeg_play also

crashes both on a 8 and on a 16 bits deep color display:

lt28:[RedHat-6.1-updates]# mpeg_play
specified dither requires 8 bit display
trying -dither color
Bad MPEG?  Giving up.
try 'mpeg_stat -verify' to see if the stream is valid.

I would appreciate any suggestion  for solving or circumventing

these two (related?) problems.

best regards,

Nicola

--
Nicola Botta, Data & Computation
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)

--------------15A3ED5D8FBC07BBAC8EB832

<pre>Hi,</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>I'm running Halloween 4 (a RedHat 6.1 based distribution)</pre>

<pre>on a TP 600E 2645-4A0. I'm using quite a lot netscape-communicator</pre>

<pre>and I have not been able to get rid of an annoying problem:</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>Entering a string in some (not all) of the netscape-communicator</pre>

<pre>pop-up menues (for example: entering a link name when inserting</pre>

<pre>a link in a message, piking up an entry from the address book when</pre>

<pre>editing a new message) crashes netscape-communicator. I sometimes</pre>

<pre>get a bus error message, sometimes no message at all.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>I have tried two netscape-common / netscape-communicator versions</pre>

<pre>which are compatible with my X configuration: 4.7-1.1 and 4.7-2.</pre>

<pre>In both cases I hat exactly the same problem both with 8 and with</pre>

<pre>16 bpp.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>My X System is:</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>lt28:[RedHat-6.1-updates]# rpm -qa | grep XF
XFree86-3.3.5-9
XFree86-xfs-3.3.5-9
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.5-9
XFree86-SVGA-3.3.5-9
XFree86-libs-3.3.5-9
XFree86-VGA16-3.3.5-9
XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.5-9
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.5-9
XFree86-devel-3.3.5-9</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>and I'm running the SVGA server at 1024x768 and either 8</pre>

<pre>or 16 bpp. Notice that the same netscape work fine on a</pre>

<pre>Compaq desktop PC. On this PC I'm using exactly the same</pre>

<pre>binaries (netscape, X) except for the X server which is an</pre>

<pre>accelerated.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>Today I noticed another X related anomaly. mpeg_play also</pre>

<pre>crashes both on a 8 and on a 16 bits deep color display:</pre>

<pre>lt28:[RedHat-6.1-updates]# mpeg_play&nbsp;
specified dither requires 8 bit display
trying -dither color
Bad MPEG?&nbsp; Giving up.
try 'mpeg_stat -verify' to see if the stream is valid.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>I would appreciate any suggestion&nbsp; for solving or circumventing</pre>

<pre>these two (related?) problems.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>best regards,</pre>

<pre>Nicola</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nicola Botta, Data &amp; Computation
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
Telegrafenberg C4, Postfach 60 12 03, D-14412 Potsdam
tel: ++49 (0)331 288 2657 <A HREF="mailto:botta@pik-potsdam.de">mailto:botta@pik-potsdam.de</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>