[ltp] Corel Linux and ThinkPad 385XD

Alex Bell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:04:35 +0000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:23:24 -0500, George Staikos wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Alex Bell wrote:
>> Anyone using Corel Linux on a ThinkPad 385/380?  How well does it
>> install?  I have been disheartened by the problems I have had trying to
>> install other distributions, but am tempted to have one last try with
>> Corel for the sake of getting WordPerfect.
>>

>  You might have problems installing on the thinkpad.  Corel Linux uses a GUI
>install and it would not work on my i1460.  I didn't try all that hard,
>however, but still it would have taken at least one workaround.  No idea what
>video chipset is in the 385XD so I can't tell you.
>
>- --
>
>George Staikos

Thanks, George.  I installed Corel Linux DeLuxe edition on my ThinkPad
385XD last night, and so far everything seems to be working.  I was
even able to retain the OS/2 BootManager set up, though am I not sure
how.  I haven't established that I can print yet, nor established the
internet connection.

For what it is worth Corel Linux seems to have a radically different
approach than all of the other distributions I have tried - LILO and
XF86Config do not even get a mention in the index.  This approach may
not be to the taste of those who glory in the arcane and obscure, but
it suits me.  For a first version I think they have done a marvellous
job.