[ltp] serial port, battery problems on a 600X

James Mckenzie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:02:59 -0700

Peter Sheridan Dodds wrote:

> I have tried all sorts of things
> but cannot get the serial port
> to work on this thinkpad 600X (model 2645-4EU).
>
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> It's enabled in Windows 98 and works fine there
> with the same address and irq.

> Also: my batteries will no longer recharge.
> With the ac plugged in, it holds at the same
> level but will not recover.  My wife has
> the same computer and I can use hers to recharge
> the batteries with no trouble.

Can you swap batteries between the two machines?  If the battery charges
in the other machine, than your system has a bad charging circuit or
bad/dirty contacts.

If the battery will not charge in either machine, then it is time to buy
a new battery or have the battery rebuilt.

James Mckenzie