[ltp] Re: OS freeze on high network usage

Andreas Loebel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:32:43 +0200

We have 4 brand new 600X, each with a Xircom CEM56 Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA card.
With 1.5 of these notebooks, I have observed exactly the same effects (The .5
stands for the one, for which the problem occurs very seldom). I have observed
that the systems also freeze if I copy a large file per NFS.

It is neither a problem of the main memory (systems have up to 578 MB) nor of
free space on the hard drive (serveral gigs of free space). It seems to be a
problem of linux or of the pcmcia package because using ftp or NFS copy under
windows 98SE works perfectly on all machines.

Andreas

Thomas Hood wrote:

> I had a similar problem with the first PCMCIA modem
> I tried in my ThinkPad 600.  I got a different PCMCIA
> modem (a Xircom) and the problem went away.
>
> Thomas Hood
>
> Joshua Gerth wrote:
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Thanks for responding.

> > > How much space do you have left on the partition you are trying to
> > > download to?
> > >
> > > It sound like you are running out of space on it.
> >
> > I only wish.  Nope, I have plenty of space ( 2 gigs ).  Do you have a
> > 600X?  Have you tried a large ftp?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >         Joshua

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

Dr. Andreas Loebel

Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer Informationstechnik Berlin (ZIB)
Optimization
Takustrasse 7, D-14195 Berlin, Germany
Phone:              +49 30 / 84185-239
Secretary:                        -208