[ltp] Linux on ON TP 600x

Thomas Porter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:07:39 -0400

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 07:05:27PM -0400, Paul Mabey thoughtfully expounded:
> Has anyone had any good experience with Linux on a 600X? I have tried all
> the major distributions and each one has its own different problems. The
> most successful was Caldera EDesktop 2.4 where I could get all but the
> Audio working. I have found one good website on installing RedHat on the
> 600X and several on the older 600's but none of them really solved my Audio
> problems.

Paul,

I am using RH 6.1 on a 600x and after a rocky start I am fine.  Using the
newest Alsa drivers unmodified.  Biggest thing is that the PCI power management
has to be turned off, which reduces battery time by a bit.  I did this through
the Win98 TP configuration tool in advanced APM configuration, I think.

Once I did this, and remember to use the alsamixer to set the sound levels for
all the different sound devices, it works great: play CD's, .wav's and most
importantly MP3's.  I believe that Gnome, or Helix, offers a sound mixer panel
that remembers and restores sound device levels just fine, so I do not even
need to reset them with alsamixer if running gnome.  I am using the
modules.conf that loads the OSS emulation portions of Alsa as well, as
documented on one of the TP 600 pages, and this makes it all work fine.

Since I need to be in a dual boot situation for work and often reboot anyway, I
have not experimented extensively with sound under suspend or hibernation
conditions.

I am on a long-term work assignment, and my TP and a set of Cambridge
Soundworks speakers have turned into my home-away-from-home sound system.

HTH

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com