[ltp] On APM Suspend/Resume

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:04:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I've made the following observation on my TP 770:

There seems to be some differences in how the BIOS is capable to handle
Suspendrequests, depending on how they where issued, e.g. there are two
types of Suspend events:

- System Suspend: this is done by pressing Fn-F4

- User Suspend: this is done by executing 'apm -s' on the commandline (as
root, otherwise sudo is your friend)

The first one has its problems when the TP is on AC power and (!) at the
same time some PCMCIA cards are inserted.

The second one works in any cases without any porblems. Thats why I maped
the shortcut SHIFT-ALT-F4 to execute 'sudo apm -s' and use a short
whishx script which gives a small button at the xdm login screen for the
same purpose.

BTW, I use a 2.2 kernel and the following APM options

	CONFIG_APM=y
	# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
	CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
	CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
	# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
	CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
	CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
	CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
	# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

Martin

--
If windows is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

For public PGP-key: finger fluch@rock.helsinki.fi