[ltp] Are 390E good machines?

Mark Thayer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:14:11 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To: <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 1:52 AM
Subject: [ltp] Are 390E good machines?

> Anyone got any good/bad experiences with 390E?  Thanks for any input!

I've had a 390e for almost a year.  Linux use has been straightforward.  No
real complaints, other than the inconvenience of installing the ALSA(?)
sound drivers and getting a modem card (I chose not to mess with Lucent's
binaries for the winmodem).

The machine travels well.  It's a bit on the heavy side, but seems to be
more rugged than similar Dell/Gateway options.  Only real complaints:
a) the battery no longer holds a charge for anything more than 30 minutes,
when it decides to hold a charge at all, and b) the 3.0 gig hard drive is
rapidly becoming a limitation; upgrading will be expensive.

A good, rugged, reliable machine for whatever OS suits you.  YMMV.
--
Mark