[ltp] IrDA problems on a 600E running RedHat 6.2

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:25:12 -0700 (PDT)

Robert.

I also had problems getting the IR-port working. By now, I am able
to use ircomm/FIR for talking to a Nokia 8210 and a PalmIII
organizer.

I documented the setup at

http://www-hft.ee.TU-Berlin.DE/~strauman/irda-tiny-howto.html

On 06-Jul-00 Robert Virding wrote:
> I have tried to get my IR-port running but I can't seem to get
> it
> working.  I have read some documentationon setting up the
> IR-port and
> have done what they have said (fixing up the COM port in DOS,
> editing
> conf.modules).
>
> When I try to run irattach I get a log entry like:
>
> "irattach: tcsetattr: Input/output error"
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and what to do
> about it?
> All I want to do is to connect to my phone (Nokia 8210) and use
> it as a
> modem to run PPP.

I did that successfully on TP600E

> Another question is that if I set the IR-port to COM2/ttyS1
> will this
> cause problems with my pcmcia modem card which lands on ttyS1
> by
> default?

No problem, CardServices will pick the first free port and IRQ.
The allocated port address will then determine the minor device
number, i.e. the X in /dev/ttySX. If there is no free IRQ
available, the serial driver will resort to polling mode (IRQ=0).

I use the /etc/pcmcia/serial script to create a symbolic link
for the modem when the card is inserted. Thus, all programs can
use /dev/modem and don't have to care about the actual device.
However, be careful when working with `device links': make sure
that _all_ applications which lock the modem do lock the _same_
file. I.e. if you decide to use /dev/modem, ALL apps must use
the link and NOT the actual /dev/ttySx or proper locking will not
be guaranteed. (Note that I'm talking about a UUCP lock protocol
involving lock files, not the deprecated cua/ttyS dual device
locking scheme).

For example, if you use `mgetty' for fax receival and a
dialler/pppd for dialout connections, make _sure_, ALL of the
programs involved use /dev/modem, NOT /dev/ttySX.

- the `serial start' script should add an entry to inittab:

    S2:12345:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty /dev/modem

- the dialler must user /dev/modem; most likely, it will pass
  this information on to pppd. E.g. `wvdial.conf' should contain
  a `Modem = /dev/modem' line.

I hope this helps.

Till.