[ltp] Regain Data...

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:25:29 -0500 (CDT)

| a friend of mine has deleted/destroyed accidantly (while installing Win95,
| but this is a other story :-) his partition table. Does somebody of you
| know how to regain the lost information?

If you're a wizard (or have access to one), and your friend was using
LILO, then maybe you can recover it. LILO makes a backup of the boot
sector. The boot sector contains the primary partition table. The
logical partition list is spread out over the disk and may still be
okay, if you can just recover the primary partition table. Chances
are, LILO's backup copy was in the root partition. If your friend's
root partition was at the start of the disk, then you can make a new
partition table in the boot sector that says the whole disk (minus the
boot sector) is one partition. Do not format that partition! Just mount
it. (You'll have to boot off a rescue disk or move the drive to another
computer as its secondary drive.) Then you have access to the LILO
backup, which you can copy to the disk's boot sector using dd (or even
cat). Then sync, and reboot. I have successfully done this. Good luck.