[ltp] X on 560E

Matthew Emmett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
11 Jul 2000 11:10:03 -0700

"Scott Dixon" <scott@metaphorics.com> writes:

> I haven't been running standard XFree86 recently on my 560e (I've been
> using XIG instead).  The reason was that XFree86 went through a stage
> a while back where the support for the Trident graphics chip in the
> 560e wasn't working.  More recent versions of XFree86 have fixed that
> problem and so I would first suggest you make sure you are up to date
> on XFree86 v3.  If so, then you should be able to run the standard
> XF86 config tool and find that one of the choices is IBM TFT (or
> something pretty similar to that), which worked just fine when I tried
> it recently.  Unfortunately, I don't still have that on my machine so
> I can't send it to you.  But the configuration should be pretty
> straightforward with the latest XF86 version 3.  I haven't tried XF86
> v4 on the 560e so I don't know if that works or not.  Good luck.  S.

Hi.

I'm running xfree86 v3.3.6 (the last one before v4.0).  I didn't find
the 'IBM TFT' card that you mentioned, but I did find mention of the
"white-glow" problem with trident cyber 9382 cards in the xfree86
FAQ.  They said to disable screen expansion/streching in the BIOS, and
use the "cyber_shadow" option with the cyber9382 chipset.  I tried
that, and still no luck!  Perhaps there is some setting that I'm
missing.  Any suggestions?

Will keep trying in the mean time...

Matt