[ltp] IrDA on 770X

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:01:23 +0200

Hi all,

I just wanted to inform you of a problem that caused me hours of work
and the solution was actually quite simple.

I have now reinstalled my complete system with RH6.2 and decided to go
and grab the BackPort for IrDA (6.2 kas kernel 2.2.14).

If you are going to try this, make sure that you read the README in the
irattach directory. It contains important information regarding
conf.modules and what devices are required in /dev.

Having installed the patches and rebooting with the new kernel I just
couldn't get the damn thing to work....
    /dev/ttyS0 -> Serial Port
    /dev/ttyS1 -> IR

After various recompiles, reboots, re-everything I finally swapped the
IO devices (Using PS2.EXE with a DOS disk):
    /dev/ttyS0 -> IR
    /dev/ttyS1 -> Serial Port

Having done this everything worked as I wanted, so there seems to be a
problem, probably in front of the TP ;-), when using IrDA on ttyS1.

Having done all this I was the able to sync my palm pilot using IrDA and

pilot-xfer.

Gnome's pilot program crashes and kpilot locks up when using IrDA, I am
going to inform the developers about the problem.

TTFN

    Bill