[ltp] 770X Error codes?

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 19:59:38 +0200

Hello Friedmann,

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 11:37:02PM +0200, Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
> my 770X just broke down on me reporting error codes 188 and 189 on
> boot. Does anybody know what these error codes mean? I have searched the
> Internet but haven't found a reference to these error codes anywhere.

Did you play with lm_sensors by any chance ? and more precisely
with the eeprom reading modules provided with lm_sensors ?

I broke my thinkpad hardware several time with this program. The
symptom was exactly the same. The laptop needed to be repaired
at the IBM tech center.  Motherboard changed.

The eeprom module from the lm_sensors package
theorically reads information from SDRAM eeprom and provides
a /proc/sys/dev/sensors/eeprom*/ entry for this stuff
(RAM delay, capacity, and so on) : one entry per RAM module.
These eeprom are accessed via the SMBus.

The problem is that the mainboard serial number is stored in
an eeprom too, that also responds on this bus (but in a bad way
apparently) when you read the /proc/sys/dev/sensors data.
I assume that the content of the motherboard eeprom is erased or
altered. And this prevent the laptop from restarting (It must check
that this value is correct before doing anything else).

What is this thinkpad hardware maintenance diskette ? Is it available
for download or just reserved to IBM techs for internal use ?

Fabrice