[ltp] Whcih soundcard in a 600E

James Mckenzie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:17:48 -0700

Till.Straumann@tu-berlin.de wrote:

> On 18-Jul-00 James Mckenzie wrote:
> > Robert Virding wrote:
> >
> >> When I ask my my TP with 'sndconfig' it tells me I have a
> >>
> >> CS 4610/11 CrystalClear SoundFusion audio Accelerator
> >>
> >> Is this the same as the CS 4239 chip which is mentioned in
> >> most papers?
> >> And can I use the CS 4232 drivers as claimed?  'Sndconfig'
> >> also tells
> >> me I need ALSA drivers for this chip, is this right?
> >>

> > Get the latest ALSA drivers.
> >

> snip
>

> > You can also use the OSS/Linux drivers, however they do cost
> > $$$.
> >

> You can also use the cs4232 driver distributed with the linux 2.2
> kernel (formerly known as `Free OSS').

I ended up with very "scratchy" sound whenever I tried to play a 16 bit
sound clip with the CS4232 OSS/Free sound driver..

> I found it easier to setup than ALSA.

I will definately agree with that statement

> There are fewer modules and the conf.modules entries
> are far less confusing. Consult
>
> http://www-hft.ee.TU-Berlin.DE/~strauman/cs4239-oss/index.html

I tried to access this server and it timed out on several different
occassions.  I'll have to try late at night over the weekend.

And as I stated, there are several different ways to get sound on a
Thinkpad 600E.

James Mckenzie