[ltp] Linux on the T20

Lai Zit Seng linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:48:50 +0800 (SGT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 fnovak@us.ibm.com wrote:

> AS an fyi,  one of the models in the T20 family as well as one of the
> models in the A20 family will come with a Linux preload.  Anticipated
> availability is end of July/beginning of August. I expect that order info

Yes, I've read about that. I've read an announcement that IBM contracted
someone (forgot who offhand) to port "Caldera OpenLinux" to the ThinkPad,
which seems to imply to me that some additional work or customization had
to be done to get Linux to work.

Otoh, as a friend suggested to me, that could simply be to mark a
"checkbox" to certify Linux compatibility :)

> should be on the website soon!  If the model matches your other
> requirements, please consider ordering the Linux preload and show the team
> that customers are actually interested in Linux on ThinkPads!   The systems

I have a special tender to ride on to buy the ThinkPad. Unfortunately,
there is only one T20 model available, and it is Win98 preload. But I hope
to be able to convince/lead people here to use Linux on the T20 :)

> will be preloaded with Caldera eDesktop 2.4 , with updated drivers for the
> video,audio, etc.  I'ld expect that those drivers will be available on the
> IBM website soon as well.  You should start seeing more configuration
> information, drivers,etc on the IBM website in the near term.

Ok, that'll be very great to have IBM provide support in this way too :)

Regards,

.lzs