[ltp] Linux on the T20

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:19:49 +0200 (CEST)

Lai Zit Seng wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Bjorn Knutsson wrote:
>
> > I installed on one last week, no major problems. I used RedHat 6.2.
>
> Thanks, great to hear about that!
>
> > It's currently unsupported in the standard distribution, but there is a X
> > server from S3 that works. The only problem I had with it was that the console
> > is messed up a while after the X server is started.
>
> Ok, that means the messed up console is still 'recoverable'?

No, you can switch to it, and type to it, but all you see is psychedelic
colors. Killing the X server leaves the console effectively unusable. (Well, I
did manage to restart the X server from it...)

> > >From what I can tell, no major problems. The built in ethernet card is detected
> > correctly. The modem is a winmodem, so you're out of luck there.
>
> The model I'm planning to get here doesn't include the ethernet.
>
> Btw, I understand the winmodem is a Lucent winmodem, so you could probably
> get it to work with the drivers at www.linmodems.org :)

Oh, I know, but from what I heard about that driver, I'm not sure I'd call that
"work". PCMCIA-modems are cheap...

/Björn