[ltp] 2 redhat questions

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:55:18 -0700

Bill Mair wrote:

> David Lomas wrote:
>
> > Prob 1 - Recompiling the kernel
> > Loads of module dependency problems resulting in a system that's almost
> > completely non-functional. Can't mount vfat drives, etc, as I put most
> > things I use rarely as modules. This nearly cost me a complete
> > reinstall, as I have to battle with Windows 2000 boot.ini, so need to
> > copy an image of the lilo boot sector on the dos drive. Without vfat
> > support, this was tricky. I've read a couple of posts to
> > linux.redhat.misc which said the solution is anything from rearranging
> > the order of building the kernel to deselecting CPU Specific
> > Optimisation. Does anyone here have the definitive answer?

I don;t know how the boot process of Win2K differs from NT, but on NT4 I
use the script (after making my changes in /etc/lilo.conf and verifying
with `lilo -v -t`

/sbin/lilo
mv /dos/bootsect.lnx /dos/bootsect.lno              [where /dos is my vfat
NT partition]
dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dos/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
chmod -w /dos/bootsect.lnx

> Is it even ThinkPad related ? Why don't you just put lilo in the MBR and
> let IT boot W2000 ?
> Or is that a stupid question (I'm glad to say that I don't have W2000)

Not stupid, but difficult to do - NT is extremely unpleasant about
surrendering boot privs.  After trying to do this for several days, I gave
up and let NT's boot manager boot everything (there's a HOWTO/mini about
it: Linux+NT-Loader).  Maybe soon I can biff it, but for now it seems to
work.

> :-)
>
> > Prob 2 - KDE desktop
> > Again, I know I should probably ask a KDE related group, but people here
> > seem to be more knowledgable (crawl crawl). The icons on the desktop
> > seem to have developed a mind of their own. Whenever I drag one around
> > the screen (say, the Trash can icon), a couple more Trash cans will
> > appear randomly. These too can be dragged, and all 3 will move around in
> > a seemingly random fashion. Occasionally, one will disappear. No amount
> > of logging out/in or rebooting has cured this so far. Any ideas what
> > I've done?

This sounds like a conflict between gpm and the X pointer - I had a similar
trouble until I killed gpm.  Could you use the mouse regularly besides this
behavior or was normal movement also erratic?  Try killing gpm (if it's
running ..) and see if that cures it.

I had this problem on a newish debian potato install on my 770X; no such
problems on the Mandrake 7.1 install on a Sony 505 - that went VERY sweet.

hjm

--
Cheers,
Harry