[ltp] 770X Error codes?

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:59:43 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 10:51:13AM +0000, Kelvin KAN wrote:
> So can anyone suggest how to avoid touching lm_sensors, if the consequence is
> so terrible?

If IBM developpers are listening this mailing-list, I warmly suggest
they contact the Lm_sensors developer (sensors@stimpy.netroedge.com),
so they can try to locate and solve the failure cause, if lm_sensors
and EEPROM thinkpad crashes are related.

This may break some motherboards during a trial and error debugging
session, but this is a risk that regular users, and even free software
hackers are not voluntarily ready to take...

So, only with a help from IBM developers can this problem be identified
and solved, which is the best acceptable solution from the user point
of view.

Now that lm_sensors will probably be shipped with the next Redhat (it
already is available in the Raw Hide), and is on the way to be
incorporated in the linux kernel. The risk exists that this problem
spreads more and more over linux thinkpad users. Keeping this problem
unsolved would be a bad point both for IBM and for Free Software
reputation. I'd not like to read a news on Slashdot about it
for example :-(

Fabrice

PS : until now, for what I know and what I've read on this
list, the link between lm_sensors and thinkpad EEPROM failures
has not been explicitely demonstated, even if facts seem now to
converge to this evidence.