[ltp] Linux on the T20

Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:08:31 -0400

Michael Cameron wrote:

> Have any of the IBMers on the list with access to the T20
> had a chance to look at vmware on it?
> I have to use NT and 95 and triple booting is no fun :0(
> My 770ED (192Mb) copes with vmware but only just.
> If it can run "reasonably" (a subjective term I know) then
> that's another Linux sale in the bag.

I recently experiment with VMware on the T20 and A20m Linux preloads. The
A20m had 64M of RAM (the actual shipping Linux model will have 128Meg of
RAM) and the T20 had 128M of RAM. Both seemed to work well with Windows 98
Second Edition running in a VM with 32Meg of RAM, though I can't say I
truely stressed the environment. Accessing the hard disk, floppy disk,
CD-ROM, and serial ports (and the Lucent modem via the serial port) seemed
to work fine. The VMware SVGA driver seemed to work fine: 1024x768, 32-bit
color. I'm still trying to get the parallel port to pass through properly;
however, that's probably because I'm a VMware novice.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761