[ltp] GNU/Linux on 560E success

Matthew Emmett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
19 Jul 2000 14:34:55 -0700

Hello all,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've got Debian GNU/Linux
(potato) up and running on my 560E.

One of the things that was annoying me the most was setting up X.
When I first bought the laptop, it had Windows installed on it.  So I
wrote down all the info about the chip-set's etc that I could before I
started installing Debian.  Windows told me I had a 512k Trident video
card.  So, when I setup my XF86Config, I set "Videoram 512" in the
device section.  I got the ugly glowing-white screen when I started
X.. yuck.  After wrestling with XF86Config for a while I decided to
comment out the Videoram part.  The driver detected 2024k and
everything worked perfectly!

So, I learnt to never-ever trust anything MS products say ever again.

Matt - a happy GNU/Linux thinkpad user.