[ltp] Re: Linux on the T20

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:30:59 +0000 (GMT)

On 19 Jul 2000, Alan Shutko wrote:

> kfrechet@us.ibm.com writes:
>

> 1400x1050 screen.  (Sure, you could just get an Inspiron with the
> screen, but the A20p has a better video chip, lighter, and sturdier.)
>
> Actually, accelerated X is working... ATI has been funding the r128
> driver development and while the mobility stuff isn't completely
> working yet (you need to boot with vesafb to get the resolution set
> right) it's definately fast.

anyway! It shows the level of commitment above and beyond.

How it feels at the moment is if a feature does not work with linux, it
will
be fixed and supported, in a later model, wow goodie! otherwise you knew
went your bought it sort of deal.

Also by the way while I am on the subject one broken pixel on a machine
IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for a brand new machine whats less acceptable is your
service center keeping my machine for 1 month and then telling me. Broken
pixels are acceptable! Well atleast i made the supply me with a 64 meg
simm for the lost time.

I imagine alot of people who use linux like me would want to dual boot
anyway for the moment. Perhaps with every micro$oft machine IBM should
start to bundle a linux cd or the linux drivers. That would show IBMs
support for linux. After all most people do not use the preloads and
do it themselves anyway! Or  end up doing that after there winblows
falls apart from having one to many programs installed.

Note to self need to re-install windows again ;-)

I have to admit I am still impressed that IBM are the only people to
 include a 3 button mouse built it, a major selling point to me!

I still think IBM should dump lucifers win modem, find a nice pcmcia
card supplier thats linux compatible and string a ethernet/modem off
the pcmcia bus, and just build the sockets for the output into the case.
After all apples airport stuff has a pcncia card built into it, if you
open it up! Yes I know power. But still!

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant! i did not mean it to.

James