[ltp] 2 redhat questions

James Mckenzie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:09:03 -0700

david.lomas@postoffice.co.uk wrote:

> I recently put 6.2 on my thinkpad 770X, and I now have 2 little
> problems. I don't know how specific they are to redhat though, and I've
> never had much joy getting help from them, even when I had paid for it
> :(
>
> Prob 1 - Recompiling the kernel
> Loads of module dependency problems resulting in a system that's almost
> completely non-functional. Can't mount vfat drives, etc, as I put most
> things I use rarely as modules. This nearly cost me a complete
> reinstall, as I have to battle with Windows 2000 boot.ini, so need to
> copy an image of the lilo boot sector on the dos drive. Without vfat
> support, this was tricky. I've read a couple of posts to
> linux.redhat.misc which said the solution is anything from rearranging
> the order of building the kernel to deselecting CPU Specific
> Optimisation. Does anyone here have the definitive answer?

What you want to do is build-in FAT and VFAT into the kernel.  This should
take care of the problem.

Another option is to use a "multi-boot" program.  I'm using Partition
Magic's BootMagic.  It replaces the original Master Boot Record with one
that boots a graphical interface that allows you to boot more than one
operating system.

The third option is to build a new lilo MBR and to replace the original
lilo MBR.  Again, you will have to either build into the kernel or build as
modules FAT and VFAT filesystem support.  The advantage is that you can
boot more than one version of Linux without having to boot to another
operating system.

> Prob 2 - KDE desktop
> Again, I know I should probably ask a KDE related group, but people here
> seem to be more knowledgable (crawl crawl). The icons on the desktop
> seem to have developed a mind of their own. Whenever I drag one around
> the screen (say, the Trash can icon), a couple more Trash cans will
> appear randomly. These too can be dragged, and all 3 will move around in
> a seemingly random fashion. Occasionally, one will disappear. No amount
> of logging out/in or rebooting has cured this so far. Any ideas what
> I've done?

I have not run into this problem.  It may be a problem with the way you
built the system.  I would add the suggestion to connect to the KDE web
site at www.kde.org.

James Mckenzie