[ltp] External modem connection problem - COM2 not found

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:58:07 -0700 (PDT)

>  I have a problem about COM2, when I tried to connect ISP with my
>  external modem.
>  I have a 600X laptop, and an USR external 56K modem. It runs very well
>  under Windows,
>  and the serial port is detected as COM2.
>  However when I enter Linux(Redhat6.1), I couldn't find COM2(/dev/ttyS1):
>
>  [yw@yw driver]$ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
>  serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
>  0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:3 rx:0
>  1: uart:unknown port:2F8 irq:3
>  2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
>  3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
>  4: uart:unknown port:1A0 irq:9

If it's configured as COM2 under Windows it ought to show
up as ttyS1 (port 2F8, irq3).  But from your listing it
looks as if either it or the infrared port (which has a
serial interface too) is appearing at ttyS1, and the
other of the two is not seen.  If ttyS1 is the infrared
port then the serial port might be powered off or disabled.
Use ps2.exe to re-enable and power on the serial port.

Thomas