[ltp] External modem connection problem - COM2 not found

Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:59:46 -0400

Wei Ye,

Misery likes company. I have the same problem on my 600E. I haven't found a
way out yet. Anyone else?

*********************************
Geoff Levine

"ye, wei" <yw@alabanza.net> on 07/21/2000 05:20:42 PM

Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

To:   linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
cc:
Subject:  [ltp] External modem connection problem - COM2 not found

Hi -

I have a problem about COM2, when I tried to connect ISP with my
external modem.
I have a 600X laptop, and an USR external 56K modem. It runs very well
under Windows,
and the serial port is detected as COM2.

However when I enter Linux(Redhat6.1), I couldn't find COM2(/dev/ttyS1):

[yw@yw driver]$ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:3 rx:0
1: uart:unknown port:2F8 irq:3
2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
4: uart:unknown port:1A0 irq:9
[yw@yw driver]$

I tried a few different kernels, from 2.2.12 to 2.2.14, all of them have
PPP built with and PNP enabled.
During the boot session, PPP enable information is printed out.
I tried to dial out with minicom, it doesn't work at all no matter what
I try /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS3,
/dev/modem, or /dev/cua*.

Contrast to the laptop, I have another desktop computer, the COM2 is
ready very well.

Is there anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Thanks for advance!

--

Sincerely,

Wei Ye