[ltp] 2 redhat questions

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:49:41 +0000

That's the same basic set of command I use - BUT - they only work if you
can mount the dos partition. With vfat support compiled as a module, and
with all modules failing to load, this was a bit tricky!

As for the KDE desktop thing, I played around for a while, restarted X,
etc and nothing seemed to fix it. However, when I got fed up and switched
the machine off for a while, everything was back to normal when I booted
up again (apart from all the desktop icons being long since deleted in my
attempts to fix the earlier problems :)

Thanks,

David.
Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

To:        linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
cc:         (bcc: David Lomas/e/POSTOFFICE)
bcc:        David Lomas/e/POSTOFFICE
Hard Copy To:
Hard Copy cc:

Date:   19/07/2000 16:55

Harry Mangalam <mangalam@home.com>

Re: [ltp] 2 redhat questions

[snip]

I don;t know how the boot process of Win2K differs from NT, but on NT4 I
use the script (after making my changes in /etc/lilo.conf and verifying
with `lilo -v -t`

/sbin/lilo
mv /dos/bootsect.lnx /dos/bootsect.lno              [where /dos is my vfat
NT partition]
dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dos/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
chmod -w /dos/bootsect.lnx

> > Prob 2 - KDE desktop
> > Again, I know I should probably ask a KDE related group, but people
here
[snip]

This sounds like a conflict between gpm and the X pointer - I had a
similar
trouble until I killed gpm.  Could you use the mouse regularly besides
this
behavior or was normal movement also erratic?  Try killing gpm (if it's
running ..) and see if that cures it.

I had this problem on a newish debian potato install on my 770X; no such
problems on the Mandrake 7.1 install on a Sony 505 - that went VERY sweet.

hjm