[ltp] Thinkpad 1200i & Linux

Steve Dalton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:16:33 +1000

Hi All,

New to the list and also to Linux on laptops. I currently have Redhat 6.2
installed. Everything currently works except for:

1. Sound - doesn't look like my chipset (CS4229) is supported yet in any of
the sound systems. Installed ALSA but not of the other configurations
worked.
2. XFree86 4.01 - Doesn't look like the Silicon Motion Lynx EM+ is supported
in XFree86 4. I will have to stick with whatever I got with Redhat 6.2 for a
while - which works, apart from it seems to crash on exit when run as root.
3. Not part of the TP, but my Netgear 410TX network card doesn't want to
work. I think there is some sort of conflict, but haven't had the time to
track it down.
4. Modem - lucent driver doesn't work with my current kernel (2.2.14.12), so
I believe I have to recompile my kernel with an older version of ppp or
something. Have the docs - just haven't got around to it yet.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone is in the same boat as me on this, or if
they've had success with similar hardware/software.