[ltp] suspend twice on 560E with 2.2.16 kernel?

Dirk Janssen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:36:02 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

This might be a kind of a FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere:
how do I set up things such that I can suspend (or hibernate) more than
once? Currently, my TP 560E with 2.2.16 kernel will only blink the
`suspend' LED a couple of times and then continue when I try to suspend
for the second time. From what I read, this problem should be solved in
``the latest stable kernels'', but for me, it isn't :-(

I tried this with the SuSE kernels 2.2.14 and 2.2.16, in various
recompiles, and then with a stock 2.2.16 kernel. I tried suspending with
Fn-F4, with ``apm --sus'', and with ``tpctl --Z''. No difference. The log
mentions: ``kernel: apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state''

Here's part of the .config for the kernel compilation:
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

The infamous IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND is apparently discontinued as of this
kernel version, it is still mentioned in some docs but does not appear
anywhere in the real source (I tried a find | grep on it). I nonetheless
tried compiling with and without it: no difference.

System details from start up BIOS menu: apm 1.30, bios 1.04, setup 1.02
Before I forget, all this testing was done with my pcmcia cards off (as
in: cardctl never even launched, cards hardware ejected).

TIA,

Dirk

 Dirk Janssen
 University of Arizona