[ltp] Modem configuration with Lucent binary driver

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 21:54:27 -0400

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000, Ken Firestone wrote:

> Does anyone know if this driver is going to work with the real soon now
> 2.4 kernel?  Has anyone tried it with the later 2.3x kernels?

  Obviously I haven't tried it, but I can guarantee 99.9% NO.  There have
been many binary and source incompatible changes in the 2.3 kernel from what
I've seen.  I'd be surprised if the driver even works on non-redhat kernels.
The design of the driver is plain _stupid_.  The kernel code should be nothing
more than the code to communicate with the hardware.  The protocol layer
should all be done in userspace.  This is repeated time and time again in
linux-kernel but companies still continue to do this.  Lucent could even OPEN
SOURCE the kernel portion while keeping their protocol/software modem closed
source in userspace.  Then we could keep the kernel driver compatible and up
to date quite easily.

  So sorry, we have to wait for them again......

   (Hopefully the new version won't a) trash the sound driver   and b) cause
lockups when using an external modem after using the lucent modem   too.  I
mean it's very nice of them to support us, but they're supporting us like we
use software from Redmond or something...)

--

George Staikos