[ltp] ALSA sound driver for CS4236+ working

Michael B. Haynie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:30:15 -0400

I'm listening to some mp3's playing on xmms 0.9.something on a 600x with
the latest 0.5.x alsa drivers installed at the moment. Joy!

The only thing beyond the normal alsa configuration that I needed to do
was to turn off the PCI-bus power management feature, using the ps2
control program (or the windows thinkpad configuration utiility) and
comment out the early load of the sound modules as suggested by Mr. Hood
(Thanks). So far, so good. I haven't tried any of the suspend or
unplugged operation features yet with the driver enabled, however.

Let me emphasize that: you *must* turn of the PCI-bus power management
feature. I couldn't get anything to work at all untill I did that, and
there was no indication of progress either.

I notice that the sound subsystem in the 600x is PCI, as is the usb
device, irda port, and the PCMCIA controller. This should go a long way
toward relieving the resource starvation problems.

Now if i could just get the usb and irda ports working..... ;-)

Thomas Hood wrote:

> wolfie wrote:
> >
> > What about the CS461x chip? is this working with the new ALSA release?
>
> I don't know whether or not it's working (since the
> ThinkPad 600 doesn't have a CS461x) but the latest
> ALSA release does include a driver for the CS461x.
>
> Thomas

--Michael

depends on the unreasonable man."
                          - George Bernard Shaw