[ltp] Disasters on a Thinkpad 600E

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:46:41 +0100

>I've been aware of the schizophrenia in the Thinkpad behaviour when it runs on
>battery and when it runs on power: /proc/cpuinfo shows 92MHz if it is booted
>on battery vs. 366MHz if it is booted on a direct power supply.

I think the 92MHz issue is a red herring: the Thinkpad, by
default, runs the cpu more slowly when on batteries, in order to
save power.  The /proc/cpuinfo value (IIRC) is calculated just
once at boot-up time.  So if you boot on batteries, the value
displayed will be low until you reboot.  Are there any adverse
consequences of this?  Not as far as I know.  If you want to make
the machine run fast all the time, look at Fn+F11, and/or adjust
the cpu parameters in the Thinkpad configuration program under
windows or dos (does tpctl address this?).

OTOH, your disc problem seems all too real, you have my
sympathies.  It doesn't sound promising.

Good luck,
Michael,

System Simulation Ltd, Covent Garden, London.  http://www.ssl.co.uk/