[ltp] Re: serial port, battery problems on a 600X

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:27:31 -0400

Peter Sheridan Dodds wrote:

> I have tried all sorts of things
> but cannot get the serial port
> to work on this thinkpad 600X (model 2645-4EU).
>
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> It's enabled in Windows 98 and works fine there
> with the same address and irq.
>
> I've used tpctl, recompiled the kernel
> to get rid of the shared IRQ option,
> disable the winmodem, etc,...
>
> I'm (at the very least) trying to connect to a palmpilot:
> # memos -p /dev/ttyS0
> Please insert Pilot in cradle on /dev/ttyS0 and press HotSync button.
> pi_bind: Invalid argument
>
> What am I missing?

The serial port needs to be powered on as well as enabled.
Powering on can only be done using the DOS or Windows utilities.
See my web page http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm
for more info.

> Also: my batteries will no longer recharge.
> With the ac plugged in, it holds at the same
> level but will not recover.  My wife has
> the same computer and I can use hers to recharge
> the batteries with no trouble.
>
> Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.

Perhaps you need to upgrade your BIOS.  You can use
"tpctl --ib" to check the BIOS levels of the machines.

Thomas