[ltp] Re: IBM EtherJet adapters

Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:57:02 -0500

jdthood@mail.com wrote:

> I'm using 2.2.14 and pcmcia-cs 3.1.11 and, as I said, I had to modify
> /etc/pcmcia/config just to get pcmcia-cs to recognize the card so that
> it would load the tulip_cb module.  The module initialized the card OK,
> but for some reason I just couldn't transmit data on our Ethernet.
> DHCP just timed out (although ONCE it did succeed after about three
> minutes ... strange).

As far as performance goes, it turns out that I'm having the same problem.
However, I had been thinking that the problem was that I hadn't properly
configured the Linux interfaces to talk through my ADSL connection, and
that the card was working properly. Since Caldera uses the COAS tool for
TCP/IP configuration and doesn't include Linuxconf (which is what I
normally use for entering TCP/IP config settings), I wasn't sure I had
everything configured properly, and so I thought the slow down was my
fault. What I see is that a ping takes an outrageously long time to
complete, with roughly a 90% failure rate. Unfortunately, having a 10%
success rate resulted in Netscape being able to sloooooooooooooooooooooowly
bring up web pages, causing me to think it was just Net congestion or a
poor choice of TCP/IP settings.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761