[ltp] Closing lid while in X?

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:08:15 -0800

It WORKS!  IT WORKS!  IT WORKS!  I'm using 2.2.11 while Rob is using
2.2.13, but it does work.  And you get the VERY nice high density tty
typefaces as well!

the 2.2.11 kernel is missing a few of the config options below (marked by
x's, but putting in the vga=775 line in lilo worked like a charm the 1st
time thru (after I figured out again the magic required to re-install lilo
using an NT loader (ugh).

One of the problems with linux is that you have to reboot so infrequently
that you forget all the boot magic that was second nature to you in the
Win/Dos days.

Rob Mayhoff is a living, breathing TP god.

Thanks a zillion!

Best wishes,
harry

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | Is that what is meant?  If not what is the config variable that corresponds
> | to it?
>
> Here's what I have:
>
>         #
>         # Console drivers
>         #
>         CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
>         CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
>         # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
>         CONFIG_FB=y
>         CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
>         # CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
>         CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
>         # CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
>         CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
>         # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
>         # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
>         # CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
x>         CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
x>         CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
x>         CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
x>         CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
>         # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
>         # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
>         CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
>         CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
>
> | and by "vga=775", I assume you mean add that to the lilo config with an
> | 'append' line?
>
> No, do it like this:
>
>         image=/boot/vmlinuz
>                 label=linux
>                 read-only
>                 root=/dev/hda2
>                 append="mem=327104K"
>                 vga=775
>
> It can't be part of the append= line because it's actually parsed by
> lilo, not by the kernel.
>
> You should probably try typing it at the boot prompt first, e.g.
>
> Boot: linux vga=307
>
> As I recall, you have to use "307" at the boot prompt, but "775" in your
> /etc/lilo.conf.  It's strange.  (Note that 307 base 16 = 775 base 10.)
>
> If it's working, text mode should appear in super-hi-res 160x64 mode
> instead of the usual 80x25 mode.

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 -- mangalam@home.com