[ltp] trouble with Linload/TP755CX

Christopher "Han" Tucker linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:20:02 -0700 (MST)

Specs:
TP 755CX, 40megs RAM, 1.3gig drive, Redhat 6.1 (CDROM install via NFS),
Windows 95 sans the windows part (just DOS). 100megs allocated to DOS, the
rest goes to Linux.

The problem: Computer boots into Linux fine via LILO, but in the 640x480
mode. When I boot into LILO, then chose to go into DOS from Lilo and use
the Loadlin.exe program to bootstrap the computer into Linux, it begins the
Linux boot but then halts two seconds later. It reports there is a problem
referencing a NULL pointer in the kernel and then spits out a bunch of
funky numbers.

But it does boot the generic kernel fine via LILO, just not from Loadlin.exe.

I followed instructions at http://www.cleggies.freeserve.co.uk (didn't do
the kernel recompile for video hack yet...i just want to get loadlin to
boot the generic kernel before moving on to that) but so far, it's a no-go.

I am typing in "loadlin vmlinuz", "loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" and
other variations on this theme to no avail. What might I be doing wrong?

Chris

Christopher M. Tucker
voice: (406) 862-1375
email: nikon@cyberport.net