[ltp] Problem with Redhat 6.1 Installation on IBM Thinpad 765L

m_zawada linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:49:03 -0800

Hi,
Problem with Redhat 6.1 Installation on IBM Thinpad 765L
( Pentium MMX 166 90mb Ram 5GB hdd ).

* Installation method : install from cd, but first booted to dos and
then
  loadlin.

When I run : "loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" it boots kernel, then
uncompresses it, but after

"partition check hda hda1 hda2"

stops on message :

"VFS : Could not open root device 08:32
 Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 08:32"

and then stops.

I used the same method on my desktop ( 486DX100 ,40MB ram, 1GB hdd )
and it works ! Linux boots OK.
I discovered that also RedHat 6.0 has the same problem : boots on
desktop
does not boot on laptop with similiar message ( but other device ).

I jumped into docs etc. and I suspect, that maybe I need to specify
particular option ( such as root=0x??? ) during loadlin. I ran
rdev on my kernel image and I got major=8 minor=50 <- dec !!!!.
So it corresponds ok to device  08:32  in message.
So kernel loads like it was configured and tries to mount 0x832
device,
but there is nothing there or whatever else :-P

I think, the problem is that kernel is unable to mount root fs
present in initrd.img as ramdisk image, so it cannot continue loading.

I tried  these : root=0x700, 0x701, /dev/ram, /dev/ram0, /dev/initrd
and some others.
I looked at
/usr/src/Linux/Documentation/initrd.txt
/usr/src/Linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt
I rewiewed also Boot-PromptHOWTO.

Maybe YOU don't know the solution at once, but can I anyhow debug this
problem.
Please advise. I lost one day for investigation so far :-(((