[ltp] 20 Questions

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:38:33 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Jake Holmen wrote:

> [...]
>
> Q1) how do I set up a user/ permissions for my wife so that she can "shut
> down" or "reboot" the computer when necessary, and have an icon on fvwm's
> start list?  I don't want to have her dialling out as "root" user - too
> tempting for script kiddies.

Have a look at sudo...

> Q2) what's a good application to use to send and receive faxes (perhaps a
> gui app, Wife's not to crash hot with command prompt stuff..)

I've no experience with that.

> Q3) Do I need to install kernel source and headers if I am going to be
> re-making the kernel?   I thought if I could gunzip the current kernel, it
> will install into the right directory tree structure and I can make bzImage
> etc to my hearts content.   It's just that the kernel source and headers
> take up about 65 Meg of usable space on a small HD.

You need it, if you want to compile a new kernel, but of course a compiled
kernel will run without the source.

> Q4) what's a good gui app to use to dial out ( I used to use kppp - but I'm
> not fond of KDE's slowness any more)  Or can I use kppp on top of fvwm?

Bind the commands pon/poff to some menu entries. Your wife has to be
member in the group dip to dial out (as none root).

Ok, that are only short hints, but anyway I hope it helps a little bit
further :-)

Martin

--
Win2k: "It's not so much that it's only 65,000 bugs,
it's just that they stopped at 65,535 to prevent an overflow."

For public PGP-key: finger fluch@rock.helsinki.fi