[ltp] Re: Sound on an i1460 & other i1460 questions

Derek Moeller linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:54:44 -0600

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 02:49:42PM -0500, George Staikos wrote:

>     General note: has anyone else had problems with their i1460 spontaneously
> rebooting, or in general just locking up often?  I just sent mine in for
> repairs today.  It's really messed up.  Just touching it (anywhere -
> keyboard, screen (side or top), base, or even a serial cable that's plugged
> in) makes it either freeze or reboot.  I assume it's a static problem but I'm
> not a Thinkpad Engineer. :)

So far, the Thinkpad has not incurred any of the problems you describe.
However, I've had it wake up spontaneously from sleep before, though never
under observable conditions -- that could be some button being pushed by
some random bit of matter flying around.

Additionally, there has been the speaker buzz problem, which sounds like
the speaker capacitor problem you describe. Under Windows, it made it
horrible; it was loud enough to make it annoying to work on. Under Linux,
it seems to be there, though with much less magnitude. Cursor movement
seems to provoke the beast.

Finally, does the 4.0 series XF86Servers work correctly, or is the Mach
binary and patch the only known working accelerated servers?

--
Derek Moeller