[ltp] tp240 mailing list

Bud Rogers linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
23 Mar 2000 06:00:20 -0600

Ken Firestone <kenf@clark.net> writes:

> BTW Bud, I'm writing this using a 240 that has had SuSE 6.3 on it for
> about 6 weeks.

Cool.  Did you have any trouble with networking?  I have a basic
installation up and running.  I have networking but it's not right yet.

If I ping another host on the LAN it does ping.  However there is a delay
of a few seconds before the first response appears.  When it does start
response times are reasonable.  Then at random intervals of a few seconds
the pings will be interrupted for a few seconds then resume and response
times will baloon for a bit then return to normal.  Watching the sequence
numbers, it appears that at random intervals three or four packets in a row
will return out of sequence and with very large delays.  So far I have not
been able to correlate the delays to anything else that's happening.

I can nfs mount directories on this box, but with those delays it's pretty
painful to do anything with it.  Network card is an IBM Etherjet.  Needless
to say, it works flawlessly under Win98.  I presume something about my
pcmcia settings is not right yet.  I'm still reading...

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>  http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/zamm.html

Though all my neighbors are barbarians, and you are a thousand miles away,
there are always two cups on my table.