[ltp] OT: HD upgrade recommendations?

Harald Milz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:29:31 +0100 (CET)

Daishi Harada <daishi@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being blind, but I can't seem to locate the discussion
> that you're referring to. I saw a discussion on disk geometry
> settings, and also one on second hd's and lilo, but none on this
> topic.

I'm sorry - my fault. That was on the general TP mailing list, thread "18GB
drive for TP600E: IBM vs. Toshiba"

> What I've been worried about is that although there are a variety of
> 2.5" hds available, they seem to vary in height (~9mm-13mm?), and I

There's 8.5 mm (Toshiba and Hitachi only), 9 mm, 12.5 mm, and 17.5 (all
others). Did I miss one? A very comprehensive list is on
http://www.cerfnet.com/~adorable/libretto.html.

> haven't been able to find out what a 560X wants. (The only ones that
> seem to explicity say "560x compatible" are the Apricorn's). Also,
> does the height have to be exactly right? Presumably a thinner one
> would fit just fine; do people manually "pad" the drive so that it

thinner should always be okay but you don't get the max storage capacity.

> doesn't rattle around?

I don't know the 560 very well but the 600 has a thin bracket that fits to
the disk with 4 tiny screws, and the IDE connector hold the disk very
tight. 600's can accomodate 12.5 mm disks but are shipped with 9 mm ones in
many cases (up to 12 GB nowadays). No padding required.

--
If someone had told me I would be Pope one day, I would have studied
harder.