[ltp] XFree86 4

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 02:12:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:

> I am pleased to report that upgrading to XFree86 6.4 has
> resolved my long standing problem of audio noise
> in playing mp3s while scrolling or moving windows.  This
> no longer happens.  Unfortunately - since I installed it
> I've experienced two hard lockups.   Both times were when
> xmms was playing an mp3.  I've stopped using xmms and have
> not experienced a crash since.
>
> This is on my 770E 160M machine.
>
> I installed from source and had no trouble generating a new
> config file using xf86config - worked first try.
>
> Anybody else done this?
> What was your experience?

	I had built XFree86 4.0 on a desktop to play with DRI and the Voodoo3
in there. I decided for the hell of it to copy the installation over to my
i1460. It is _wonderful_. The speakers no longer hiss at activity of any sort,
and the 2D acceleration is wonderful. The 3D layer works better as well, but
it is unfortunately not accelerated like utah-glx.
	I can't vouch for the stability yet, but it seems happy. 4.0 also nukes
my problems switching to other resolutions. It seems to be a lot more
intelligent about working with LCDs...

	Tugrul Galatali